As summer draws near and the weather warms up, there’s no better way to spend your days than by exploring the great outdoors. And what better place to do it than on the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan?
Known for its breathtaking scenery, picturesque lighthouses, and quaint coastal towns, the Leelanau Peninsula is a paradise for hikers. With miles of trails that wind through dense forests, past towering sand dunes, and along pristine beaches, there’s no shortage of adventure to be found here.
If you’re ready to lace up your hiking boots and hit the trails, here are the top 20 hikes to explore on the Leelanau Peninsula.
1. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore – Empire Bluff Trail
2. Pyramid Point – Trailhead
3. Manitou Island – North Manitou Trail
4. Pyramid Point – Platte River Loop
5. Leelanau State Park – Whaleback Trail
6. Arcadia Dunes – Old Baldy Trail
7. Bay View Trail – Peninsula Township Park
8. Good Harbor Bay Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
9. Old Indian Trail – Pyramid Point
10. South Manitou Island – South Manitou Trail
11. Empire Bluff Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
12. Otter Creek Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
13. Windy Moraine Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
14. Shauger Hill Trail – Leelanau State Park
15. C.S. Mott Nature Preserve – Rattlesnake Trail
16. Bass Lake Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
17. Alligator Hill Trail – Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
18. Forte Trail – Peninsula Township Park
19. Thoreson Farm Trail – Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy
20. Palmer Woods Forest Reserve – Secret Trail
Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or just starting out, there’s a trail on the Leelanau Peninsula that’s perfect for you. From easy strolls along the beach to challenging hikes up steep dunes, there’s something for everyone here.
So, grab your backpack, some snacks, and plenty of water, and head out to explore the natural beauty of the Leelanau Peninsula. Happy trails!